Maine 2016

Maine 2016

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Touch Someone leave a Trace

“When touching someone you leave a trace of yourself.” These words got me to thinking about how important is a touch in a person’s life. I thought about newborn babies left to themselves never bonding, never feeling another’s personal touch. This has been seen over and over in 3rd world country orphanages with so many babies and few workers to care for them. This is true in our own country as well, little ones left to themselves.

I remember visiting a man in a local nursing home. I would go every week and we would write a letter to his daughter (he had five) who never came. I remember how bitter he was at first and how he started to soften and a smile would cross his face in our conversations. I told him about Jesus and he said God did not care about him that he had been too bad. I took in a sign that said ‘God does not make junk’ and posted it on his wall. He died after a few years but I know the touch of my caring ministered to him. God’s fragrance in me made a difference in his life.

When I was going through a very difficult time in my early 30’s, feeling like no one cared, feeling all alone in my struggle. I remember standing in the aisle at our church at the end of a service and a woman who was not given to hugs came up and gave me the longest hug and said ‘God loves you’. I have never forgotten it because I knew that God had hugged me. The obedience of a woman with the fragrance of Christ made a difference.

The Bible, The Message translation, says it this way, ‘Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance. Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God,’…

Depending on the strength of the fragrance will depend on how much remains. In the days when smoking was allowed in a restaurant, if you were not a smoker, remember how it permeated your hair, clothes etc. and the only way to get rid of it was take a shower. Another example, my husband is a part-time farmer and our cows are outside so he seldom has to deal with the smell. In visiting another farm with animals inside when he comes home and into the kitchen that fragrance will be there. He will take on that smell whether he has barn clothes or a nice outfit. The source of a fragrance has results no matter if it is good or bad.

Jesus was fragrance to the blind man, to the woman with the issue of blood, to the disciples and most importantly to us. We have His fragrance as we take on His nature. Will you touch someone today and leave His fragrance with them.



No comments: